Incident Reporting

Accident, injury, or exposure?  

Complete this reporting form (Word document), which also includes instructions for submission. 

If a workplace incident requires emergency medical attention call: 911 or go to the nearest emergency room, or call 412-624-2121.

All other incidents call 412-647-4949.

The University Health and Wellness Center is available for profession medical evaluation and treatment. The center is located on the 5th floor of the Medical Arts Building, 3708 Fifth Avenue.

Reporting Recombinant DNA Research-Related Accidents or Violations of the NIH Guidelines

The University of Pittsburgh and investigators are required to report incidents involving recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules. The IBC is responsible for reporting any significant problems or violations of the NIH Guidelines or research-related accidents or illnesses to the NIH.

Are there reporting requirements if an institution or investigator is found to be out of compliance with the NIH Guidelines?

First and foremost, an institution should attempt to rectify the problem by conforming to the requirements of the NIH Guidelines. In addition, when an occurrence of non-compliance with the NIH Guidelines is identified, a complete report of hte incident must be forwarded within 30 days, along with any recommended actions to NIH OSP. OSP staff will respond with comments on the incident and on the institutional response. In general, OSP will evaluate the adequacy of that response and make recommendations on any additional measures that should be taken.

Report all accidents, illnesses, problems or ANY violations of the NIH Guidelines to the IBC Office using the following steps:

  1. Click the link to download the template form: IBC Incident Reporting Form.
  2. Complete the information requested and SAVE the file.
  3. Send the completed form to the IBC Office


AlertLine is a unique, toll-free line that makes it comfortable and convenient for employees to report irregular or troublesome workplace issues so that these issues can be investigated and resolved.

Research compliance concerns, including conflict of interest, improper charging of grants, violation of human subject research regulations, and violation of other research compliance rules can be reported on AlertLine.

Page updated 29 August 2019; Updated Incident Reporting form.